Skip to main content

Wish, I

Wish, I
By Christian

(a short and rushed story)

 

PART ONE
A distant place, I rather not call home - I chose to be back here even after all is said and done. I could still hear the calls and whispers, are they a distant memory buried deep inside?
‘No, it’s not dear.’ a feminine voice echoes.
I look at how solemn it gets wishing it could have been more - more than it is now. The embrace of your touch on my hair. Each morning greeted with a smile from the side of the bed. 
‘Dear, are you done? We’re about to be late.’
‘Hold on honey, just grabbing something from the wardrobe.’ Shayne scurries.
The wife starts the car while waiting for her loving partner to exit the house, she shuffles the radio to settle the mood. As soon as he gets out, he cannot wonder what else he forgot but the thought was brushed as soon as he opened the car door. 
‘What were you even looking for?’
‘It’s a surprise honey.’
While driving to their destination, Shayne is talking vicariously about what happened at work -
‘I’m telling you, one of these days Ravi is going to meet that one girl that will change his whole attitude.’
‘Pretty sure he will dear.’
‘Speaking of that’ - Shayne stops midway because he is making a turn.
‘Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, Mason actually got that promotion!’
Without a shadow of doubt,  there was nothing I could do about what comes next. I think we should end this here.
‘Please Shayne continue.’ said an eager old man.
Shayne paused - took a little breather before he continued on -
‘Dear?’
‘Yes honey? Oh sorry, I lost track of things.’ while grabbing the steering tightly.
There was a flash of light, ‘I’m sorry honey.’
There was nothing I could do, truth be told it never really happened did it? All of it was just a bad dream. I should be up soon. I could hear voices coming from somewhere. Screaming and shouting. It was as if something bad had happened.
My fingers, I can’t feel my fingers. ‘Honey! Where are you?!’ I shouted. I continued shouting and calling for my wife. She did not respond… Honey… I can feel myself losing it. Blacking out from this ordeal. It didn’t take long for me to piece the whole story together about what happened. All she wanted was a date, a night out to calm her mind. 
After hearing the doctor’s words about the aftermath, I screamed and ran for the door, not until I was stopped at the emergency exit by a security guard. I only came to after hours of rest on the hospital bed. Peace was not a common tongue at this very moment. I laid there helplessly, knowing how hopeless it is to do anything. The nights went on and at times there were longer. 
‘Is there anyone you’d like us to call to come get you sir?’
‘No one.’ was the answer I gave to the receptionist. 
I exited the premise, not wanting to cause a fuss and be manhandled by the security guard again; I calmly walked away. 
‘That was rude dear. The way you talk to the hospital staff.’
This person was not real, she is just my imagination of the real person that was once there. 
‘Was she really just an imagination?’ asked the old man.
The wife gives an expressive look signalling her husband that she exist, 
‘She is.’ while looking at her wife who the old man could not seem to see.
‘I guess our session for today is over. Feel free to call me anytime.’ 
‘Thank you for your time.’ I exit the room while my wife waves me goodbye and begins to talk to the old man. 
I went to the one place where the most sad lonely go to, the local bar, Usopp’s. I was expecting someone to tell me it was my fault but the in-laws were more than supportive of the whole situation. Even took care of the whole ceremony while I was bedridden in the hospital. How much of an incompetent husband am I? 
Mason managed to track my location, ‘Buddy, I’ve been looking for you man. Sorry for your loss.’
He was going to continue further on but stop on his tracks, when Ravi interrupted ‘Go slow Mase.’
My two good friends at work, how I wish I could tell them that everything was not going well. I just left them, knowing how busybody Mason was, Ravi was able to convince him not to go after me. 
‘He’s not with us man. Not yet.’ said Ravi, Mason acknowledges.
The house I bought for us three years ago seems empty. The house used to be where I go back home to after a day’s work. You’d be there for me.
‘Welcome home dear.’ her soft voice whispers to my ears. 
Shayne took something out of his pocket, and realized that the gift was still intact. Tears start falling as he begins to open it, revealing brand new earrings. I can’t help but to think of you. Why you?! Please God, this must be a dream, right? Wake me up… wake me up from this nightmare. None of this is real. Shayne drowned himself in alcohol to soothe the aching heart. 
The wife’s careful embrace, kissing her husband, ‘Where have you been dear? I was waiting for you.’
‘I was… I was looking for you.’
‘Dear, dinner is ready.’ she grabbed hold of my hand guiding me to the dining table.
I know this feeling, it’s one of those feelings where you know something is not right and it’s just a dream. A fleeting feeling of sadness, well, mine is here to remain.
‘Thank you honey.’ Shayne kisses the wife’s cheek for this beautiful dinner. 
I know this is just a memory of mine replaying itself. How cruel can you be God? How dare you replay this part of my memory. Sometimes I think my wife’s belief is nothing but torture, to believe in something that does not exist. I hate you. 
The dinner was nothing short of delicious like all her dishes, what’s short now is her presence. 
PART TWO
‘Where do I begin? Day 45 without you here, it gets rather boring sometimes. Actually it is boring without you.’ Is this what I want to say in my recorder? Let me restart this - Shayne resets the recorder.
‘Day 45 without you has been hard. I have filled my time with work and even that feels empty. The boss told me to have some time off from work. I didn’t know the man had a heart to feel sorry for others. I think I’m gradually going down to madness as I record this. I guess I should end here.’
‘How are you these days?’ you can hear the father in-law’s voice reaching out to him.
Shayne attempted to further the conversation but just hung up the moment his heart felt heavy. Deep down he knew it was his fault. The lack of attention on the road leads to this. If only my eyes were there for a few seconds all of this could have been avoided. He wanted someone to blame him, but no one ever did. Ravi was in front of his porch, trying to reach out to his friend but after many knocks, Shayne was unresponsive. Ravi knew he was inside, but trying to be invasive was not in the menu, not yet that is. 
At day 47, Shayne took out his best working clothes, ironed them as he usually did and found his favourite leather boots. He was trying his best not to affect his colleagues with these negative emotions. He saw the other sedan outside and was terrified to even approach it. He opted to walk further down to the bus station. 
Alan Kim, the manager who is ever the perfectionist greeted Shayne the moment he set foot in the office wishing to have a word or two with the widow. Shayne was not eager to have a conversation with the boss, ‘Shayne, I thought we had this conversation already. You should find some time for yourself. We know what happened and I’m sorry for your loss but it’s best you find time to heal. The company understands and we won’t forget about your contribution.’
‘I appreciate the off days Alan, but I can’t stay cooped up in my house. It’s not helping at all.’
‘How about this, I have a number you can call. He works wonders and I’m sure he’ll try his best to help you too.’
Shayne relaxes his feet on the sofa bed and proceeds to respond, ‘So, that’s how we end up here together. Lovely isn’t it?’
‘Feeling comfortable?’ questioned the old man.
‘Never better. I should be in the office but here I am with you.’
‘Would you like to be elsewhere then?’
Shayne tries to look for the answer for the question but he couldn’t utter the words. All he could utter was the air he breathed taking flight in the room. 
‘Keeping yourself busy with work rarely does the job. With the healing I mean.’
‘Better than finding excuses not to be at work.’
‘Grieving is an experience no one can go through alone, especially if it's your loved ones but some point in time we all go through it.’
‘Did you? I mean did you ever go through with it?’
‘I did and might I add it was not pleasant at all but it is inevitable. We cannot avoid death.’
I know he meant well, I really do but I couldn’t find the courage to fully accept this. Why would I be courageous to accept this situation? It was my fault. Had I been more attentive, all of this could have been avoided and we could be spending our days regularly without this abnormality in the way. 
In some horrific way, I had a dream that my sedan was talking to me, it asked, ‘How have you been my guy?’
I was hesitant to reply back thinking I might have stooped to my lowest already, but at the same time, why not? came to mind.
‘Not good really. Something feels lost.’
‘I know, I was there, remember?’
‘Indeed you were.’
‘She’s not the only one gone, you know. I’m gone too and I’m just in your head.’
‘I think you are. Wait. I know you are. Why are we even having this conversation?’
‘You needed someone or something. Maybe I’m both.
Shayne sighs… How he wished the sedan would be a real person but he knew that it wasn’t. As soon as he came to, he was laying on the floor. Apparently drunk from the night before where he met a fellow lad who he thought was in the same situation as he was. Couldn’t recall what topics were open when the alcohol started flowing in but he knew they had a long conversation and maybe even extended back at home. 
The other sedan he saw yesterday was not his, but his wife’s and the one damaged and towed was his. A somewhat needle has struck his fingertips thinking of driving the vehicle but chose to distance himself. Day turns to night and night turns to day, the sedan was left untouched and unbothered for the remainder of its stay at Shayne’s residence. 
Since he was given a few days off from work, Shayne took this opportunity to visit his long forgotten garage. Promises were made here but none fulfilled due to his busy work life. The wife however didn’t take this into heart as she was very understanding but she had hoped her husband would continue with his hobby - passion.
‘Dear -’ the wife approached her husband.
‘Yes honey?’ while Shayne continues to tinker with his bike. 
‘Lunch is ready. Was going to check on your progress too. Looks like it’s halfway there.’
‘I’ll get this bad boy up and running soon. Sure does bring back memories doesn’t it?’
The wife chuckles, ‘I remember you riding this silly bike and asking me out on our first date.’
‘Ah! I remember, it was at that restaurant.’
‘It was the supermarket dear.’
‘Well I knew that.’
Shayne continues to tinker the bike before heading back inside, ‘Dear don’t take your time because the food’s going to get cold.’
‘Yeah, I’ll be in a few minutes.’
Shayne placed his palms on his long forgotten bike. Unlike the deceased, the bike was still able to be brought back to life. He was on a mission to revive the bike. While searching for his toolbox, there she was standing not far from him and cheered on, ‘I’m glad you’re doing your best.’
‘You’re not real.’
Even with such a cruel response, she continues on smiling and cheering for her husband as he begins his mission. 
PART THREE
While the revival of the bike was on its way, Shayne opted to use public transport to work. Given the greenlight to continue to go to work. The others welcomed him back whereas Alan was more than happy to have his ace staff back in the office. 
Mason greeted Shayne in his office, ‘Hey bud, Ravi and I are going out together for lunch and I was hoping you’d join.’
‘Sure why not.’ Shayne responded.
Before Mason left the office, he was glad that his friend was back and that everything from here on out will be better. 
Recalling the night before, Shayne busied himself with the bike, frustrated that some of the tools were missing. They were rather misplaced because all this time he would ask his wife where some of the stuff was.
‘Honey, where’s my -’ and without completing his sentence, the wife soon replied, ‘It should be on the top shelf on the right beside the washing machine.’
Shayne grabbed hold of the object he was looking for, ‘Thanks honey!’
‘I know I am.’ she giggles.
Frustrated at the rate he was in, he paused the progress for tonight and went to bed earlier than usual, owing to himself, that he wanted to work the next day. 
‘It’s been a long time since the three of us sat together like huh?’ said Mason while he was chowing down on his grub.
‘How have you been Shayne?’ asked Ravi.
‘Getting by. Here and there. Picking up the pieces.’ Shayne replied while playing with his lunch.
As much as the guys wanted to drag the conversation down further, it seems Shayne was not keen. His heart and mind wasn’t present at all. Distracted by thoughts at home, more so with the bike revival. At work, he was just going with the flow, submitting his latest ideas to the board.
‘I’ll better get going. Gotta finish the work before I head home.’
Struggling to get an idea for his latest project, Shayne who was not a smoker before opted to try it out. Took a little smoke rest in the restroom. It was a joke to him because he would have never smoked a cigarette before even when it’s stressful. Why now?
‘Are you really trying to smoke that cigarette dear?’ asked the wife while Shayne was trying to light the cigarette. 
‘I wouldn’t be actually if you were here.’
‘But I am here dear.’
‘Are you really here though? Can you touch me?’ 
The wife attempted to touch her husband but nothing came to fruition as Shayne immediately brushed her off by saying, ‘You’re just part of my imagination.’ 
Shayne added, ‘This is pointless.’ Shayne got tired of trying to light the cigarette. He packed his stuff and headed home. Alan didn’t stop him and merely supported him from a distance. After arriving at home, Shayne served up a dish for himself, though not as impressive as the wife’s; he was content.
While chowing down his food, Shayne had imagined a time machine would exist and that he would have changed this entire unfortunate turn of events. Rather just that specific turn of events, he had hoped to meet his future wife in the past and change his very being. Although it was a pipe dream to begin with, he had hoped it would be true. Going as far as to google for it on the internet and seeking help from his more “informative” friends. 
He opted for a cloning service because he once saw an interview about a clinic that clones animals. Perhaps they’ve cloned a human being before but he worries the wife he once knew was not the same person. The soul is a different matter. Copying the genetic structure of a person does not guarantee they will feel and think the same. Such technological advances were only present in science fiction movies.
‘Heck, if I could make a deal with you - I would, if you were real. Maybe you are. Can you hear me, Devil?’
The response Shayne got was the fan spinning above him and the dogs barking outside. Nothing supernatural has occurred. 
‘I’m going mad, aren’t I?’
The wife showed herself after coming out from the living room humming a familiar tune, ‘You’re close to going my dear. Perhaps you need rest.’
‘It’s funny.’
‘What’s funny dear?’
‘That you’re here talking. That’s the funny part. You’re going to drive me mad.’
The wife shakes her head after hearing her husband’s response, ‘Dear, I’m real as I can be.’
‘Don’t fuck with me!’ Shayne slams the table in anger. 
‘You’re not fucking real woman!’ The lights were cut off in the entire house.
‘To me you are.’ the wife responded.
He went to check on the fusebox in the garage and there he spent his entire evening laying beside his hobby. Sobbing himself to sleep.
PART FOUR
A year has passed and Shayne decided to move back to his hometown. He had informed Alan that he would be working from home until the end of his contract tenure. Alan who was an assertive person, loosen up a bit and allowed his ace employee to work from home but had requested to keep him posted during the weekdays. 
Shayne had basically sold off his house in the city and the unwanted sedan. He moved everything back to his family home where no one has stayed for almost a decade. Much to his surprise, he actually managed to revive the bike but it was not a hundred percent as he only managed to keep it running until it once again gave up on him once he reached his hometown. 
‘You sad piece of shit.’ 
He checked himself in at his family home and was warmly greeted by one of the caretakers there. 
‘Welcome home sir. Didn’t see you for a long time.’ The caretaker hands the house key to Shayne.
‘It’s good to be back.’
‘Everything as it should be inside. We’ve used the showerroom when the water was cut off but nothing has been moved.’ 
‘I don’t mind you guys coming by from time to time.’ Shayne handed the copied keys to the caretaker. 
‘You’re always welcome to come inside.’ Shayne then went back home, turning on the dimmed lights as it was getting dark. 
Looking back, the house had always looked gloomy and scary. He had felt this before as a kid after his parents left him for work. Though his parents were absent, he was well taken care of by the caretakers, even made friends with the gardener’s son. The days spent there were not as quiet as he had thought of but in his adult life, everyone has gone somewhere. No one stays in one place forever except those slumber in the cemetery; those are permanent homes for the dead. 
Shayne had thought of going into town to have a drink or two but he had no one to contact to accompany him. He had always thought of the town as being senile and slow. No longer senile, the town was brimming with life as more and more flood the place when housing areas were opened. 
Before coming back home, Shayne had made one last stop at the cemetery where his wife was laid to rest. To further convince himself, the lady that was talking to him all this while was nothing more than just a figment of his imagination. The ride down to the cemetery was tedious and Shayne thought that it would be a good idea to accompany his wife one last time before he leaves the city.
‘I wish I had done the things I promised you before. Fixing the pipes in the toilet and getting a puppy. Was just too busy I guess.’
The wife sat on the bike responded to the lonely man, ‘You could still get a puppy. The pipes in the toilet can’t be helped. You weren’t a professional in the matter and the house is sold already.’
‘Seriously? Are you insulting me? You’re one sassy ghost aren’t you?’
‘That’s rude. I’m still your wife. Not a ghost.’
‘You’re a ghost to me.’ Shayne laid his head on the tombstone and proceeded to shut his eyes after stargazing. A peaceful thought has come to pass. The cemetery was quiet and solemn, peace was achieved because there was no one there except for its silent occupants who would not bother him. The wind breeze was chilly, befitting a good sleep. 
He wakes up to the sound of chicken crowing and to this day, he wonders where it’s coming from. The house is relatively huge but its tenant seems to only cover the kitchen and back to his room. The other rooms were left untouched. It was a bothersome task to clean here and there. It would only bring back unwarranted memories and Shayne tries his best to remain in the present. He was cooped up in the room with the work he brought from the city. Any attempt to further progress into his work was only disrupted by his travel to the kitchen.  This continued for another hour before he relaxed himself in the living room - sighing, ‘This is hopeless.’
Shayne rode off, needing the fresh air from the unproductive work at home. That fresh air was just the smell of alcohol at the local bar. A lot of interesting characters were present, amongst them was Shayne, the lonely man. 
Instead of looking for a table, Shayne went to the bar section. He wasn’t there to socialize but rather to reflect. In a literal manner, there was a mirror at the bar section facing him and there he saw a damaged person. Unkempt and not well presented, Shayne wasn’t bothered by his look but he knew his wife would be disappointed at him. The idea for peace was to be accompanied by heavy substances. 
As time went on, Shayne who had planned to be unsociable, was conversing with a police officer from out of town but the words were easily faded because Shayne was too intoxicated to even remember the tiniest of details. All he remembered was that he left the bike there at the bar and went back via e-hailing. 
Shayne was greeted by the caretaker who had already prepared him dinner in the kitchen area, ‘Hello sir. I believed your evening was eventful. I’ve prepared something to eat.’ 
A sluggish Shayne walked his way to the dining table, chewed down the food and tried his best to gather himself.
‘Sir, I believe you are going through something and it seems I can't help much but I wish you well.’
‘Thanks -’ Shayne replied and soon after the caretaker made his way out and headed back to tender the flowers.
‘I mean it. Thank you.’
The caretaker replies back with a smile. 
‘Why are you smiling there?’ Shayne asked the imaginary wife.
‘You’re healing and you’re not lonely.’
‘Easy for you to say. You come and go as you please.’
‘I do but here I am with you, having this delightful conversation and eating breakfast with you.’
‘God must really love me then.’
‘I think he might.’ the wife smiles.


PART FIVE
After waking up from a terrible dream, where he would continue to be a drunkard; as a result, spiralling down to homelessness. His friends back in the city didn’t even recognize their friend who was messy from head to toe. He gathered what he could from the dream while freshening up in the bathroom. Shayne who saw himself as a homeless man walking in the city aimlessly looking from scraps just to get by, ended up in a shelter where many others were present like him. There he saw how others there were not as fortunate as he was before being in the same situation. Not many were able to afford a formal education, let alone the opportunity to pursue something they like in life. 
He knew this had to be a dream - a bad dream because as soon as he was approached by one of the shelter tenants, he was miraculously transported around his company’s building where he saw how happy his friends were. There he saw an aged Alan Kim still calling the shots and was presumed to be in a higher management position. Ravi too seemed like he was in a higher position, presumably Alan’s previous position.
All Shayne could afford to do was just look from outside of the glass window. This is what would happen if he stayed in this position he was in. When he touched the window, Shayne was then again transported back at his family home. It looked damaged from the outside, old and ridden of its beauty. The caretakers were not present, even their house looks empty. The only ones around were stray dogs that could do much harm to Shayne if he were to delve deeper. 
‘That’s not never going to happen to me.’ Shayne spoke to his mirrored self. 
‘It could happen, you know.’ the mirrored Shayne replied.
Shayne left the bathroom and the mirrored Shayne continued to harass him with words, ‘Why do you even bother with work at this point?’
‘You’re even worse than my dream. Leave me.’
‘I’m you, therefore this is just what you would say to yourself -’
Before the mirrored Shayne could press on, Shayne interrupted the malicious figure, ‘Fuck off!’ he shouted angrily as the surprised caretaker was watering the plants. The mirrored Shayne dissipates into thin air. 
After finishing breakfast, Shayne took a nap by the veranda and again dozed off soon after he found peace on the sofa bench. He remembered the time when Ravi accompanied him by the park, they talked about their careers and relationship. Ravi who had been busy with had never found the time to go for dates. As a result, his words with the ladies were very blunt.
‘So any luck yesterday?’ Shayne asked.
‘Sadly no my friend. The evening went as expected. Dinner and nothing more after that. I didn’t get a callback from her.’ Ravi replied.
‘Aren’t you supposed to be one doing the calling?’
‘But should I?’
‘Well, are you interested in her?’
The picture went from colorful pixels to a breezeless grey. Ravi’s mouth paused, his very movement was paused, 
‘Dear, I think it’s time for you to wake up.’ the wife walks up to Shayne from a tear of reality.
‘I’d rather be here if that’s okay with you.’
‘This isn’t healthy -’
Shayne sighs. Sighs even more when he looked at his wife. 
‘What happened wasn’t your fault. You were focused.’
‘No, I wasn’t.’
The wife snapped her fingers and the memories long buried were uncovered and there they were, laying on the road after the accident. Shayne calls out to his wife. Her lifeless body was not too far from he was.
‘Why?!’ Shayne stood a few steps from where he was. 
‘There was nothing that you could do. The truck driver was half asleep.’
Shayne walked further to where the wife was but could not see what was beyond that because this part of the memory was not present. The more he pressed on himself, the more the memory seemed distant - to the point of unreachable as only echoes were heard. 
‘I was with you the entire time. Throughout this journey.’ the wife said.
‘Here I thought we would be together till the end. Not like this. Not so soon.’
Below Shayne was a recollection of memories they both had of each other, even the ones where he was on the hospital bed for months end. There he saw his wife, feeding him and helping him clean up but none of those ever happened as he believed it was just his imagination. An imaginary sequence where his wife’s life was not withdrawn. 
‘You’re only hurting yourself with that. You have to let it go. Let me go, Shayne. You have to move on.’
‘It’s hard! It’s really hard!’ he shouted back right and there again he woke up and continued shouting, ‘It’s hard!’
The caretaker was taken aback by the young man’s shouting, ‘Sir, I think you need to rest.’ said the caretaker. Shayne noticed it was already late in the afternoon. He decided to start up the bike and head for the beach. There maybe he would find serenity. 
‘The bike’s really cool.’ the wife tries to talk to Shayne as they ride to the beach. 
‘Then you’re going to love the beach.’ 
In the present, Shayne rode to the beach alone and the waves were as loud as ever. The skies darkened, signaling a free shower for everyone. Shayne had considered ending his life but was too weak to do so. The shaver blades were touching his skin and there he froze from going through with cutting himself. He even opted to soak himself under the cold rain hoping to catch a cold that would be fatal. In the end, he survived that turmoil as he did with the accident. 
Now presented with the opportunity, the waves were bigger and there wasn’t anyone nearby to help him if he were to drown himself. He walked to the waters while enjoying the breeze. The memories of his wife flaring in his mind continues, ‘This isn’t the way dear! Stop!’ the wife shouted.
Shayne could not be bothered anymore. The care in the world was gone, his life was forfeited the moment his inner thoughts began to take the better of him. He was tired and more so afraid as he realized he was lonely. Everything was flushed away. He could feel the salt in his mouth, death by water was rather peaceful.
For a moment he could see life flash by him of what could have become and the wife continues to reach out to him, trying to save his sanity from complete chaos. He needed help. The wife finally got hold of her husband. However, he was still drowning in his thoughts. The lonely man was in limbo. 
‘It’s not your time yet mate.’ said a blackened goat figure.
‘I think it is.’ Shayne approached the blackened goat figure void of fear.
The blackened goat figure pointed somewhere indicating that Shayne’s time was not over yet and was dragged away by a bright figure. The blackened goat figure waved the lonely man goodbye.
‘Wait!’ Shayne resisted, ‘Is she here? Is my wife here?!’ 
The blackened goat figure did not respond and simply smiled.
Shayne was resuscitated to life by a local and was scolded soon after for attempting to commit suicide. Shayne explained that he was just trying to swim and was caught off guard by the waves. He thanked the local man for helping him. The wife, saddened by her husband’s actions, begins to lose her voice and Shayne could not hear anything anymore from her. Finally, it was quiet and Shayne too was quiet. He had lost touch of reality and soon faded from that same reality. 
The sound of the ambulance siren and people shouting were present, there an accident had just occurred. There, a man was laying on the road, lifeless whose eyes were still open could not reach out to his wife.
‘Dear!’ the wife shouted as she was being pulled into the ambulance. She could not hold back her tears as her husband was being covered by a white sheet. 
‘Dear!!!’ the wife continued shouting only this time, she passed out from doing so.
PART SIX
The wife sitting on her wheelchair in the hospital brazenly looks outside. She is waiting for someone but she knows that it was impossible. She had imagined a life for her husband if she was the one to go but sadly, only she made it out alive. She could only cry during the night and put up a charade during the day. Ravi had visited her sometimes during the month she was hospitalized. 
Her parents too had visited her to check up on her condition.They had helped with the funeral. Shayne’s family had all long passed away and without any surviving siblings, the wife’s parents had to help. The house back in town had no tenant but fortunately for her, Shayne had always prepared a lease under her name. 
Shayne’s colleagues had helped the wife with moving her stuff to her parents. She thought that having a big house without your loved ones would just cause more harm to her mental state. 
‘We’re really doing this?’ the wife asked.
‘Yes, we are. I bought the place for us and it looks just like home.’ Shayne replied while both of them looked at pictures of their soon to be house.
The wife remembered how proud her husband was of getting the house. They had stayed in another place where they would just pay rent but getting a place of their own was an achievement. Instead of looming in the dark, the wife had started anew by working somewhere in the countryside. She bid her parents and friends farewell before riding off with the bike Shayne had fixed. 
Somewhere… Shayne had come to and was surprised to see himself back in his house. The last thing he remembered was being on the beach. The caretaker had given the young man some notes to follow through, mostly directions of what medicines to take and the food leftover for the young man. 
For a moment, Shayne had seen his wife was alive and well but could not remember the rest of it. There he saw his wife, helping others by working with a community service group. The same bike he had was also with her. She had dropped the idea of driving a regular car and instead rode a bike. He was happy to know that somewhere, his wife was alive and well. 
‘Here you go. Make sure you finish your food this time auntie.’ The wife poured soup for the auntie.
‘Thank you.’ the auntie replied with a smile and it was very visible that she didn’t have much teeth already. 
The wife then continued helping the needy by spending her time with them. Asking questions and getting to know them better. During the weekends, she would give cooking classes during the weekends where she was well received by the community. Seeing this in his dream, Shayne had decided to do the same thing and the results were similar. 
Alan along with Shayne’s closest friends at work decided to visit him in town. They had taken the day off to see what he was up to when he wasn’t finishing up the assignments. To their surprise, he was doing better than before. 
The wife too was visited by her friends from the city. They had gone for a girls night out and in parallel, the couple that was separated by death found the much needed peace. 
‘I hope you’re doing well dear.’ the wife looked up in the skies.
Shayne in retrospect replied to her, ‘I am… I really am. I hope you found your peace.’  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dagger: Chapter Three

Chapter 3 Ariam was convinced the trances of various locations and visions of large creatures in colossal size tearing up the heavens, opening a vast portal to enter this realm to wreck destruction and death meant something significant with Sajib’s plan. The dream felt vivid and real, it felt like a looming definite future that was for sure abound to happen if she did not do anything to stop it.             Obadiah was glad when she woke up, and now without further due, he stood in front of Ariam who sat up on the captain’s bed, rubbing her eyes, and then he started shouting, “What the hell were you thinking? You could have died! And what then?! You risked your life just to save this idiot.” Obadiah went on for quite a bit tearing Ariam’s ears off in the process, while Bernard in the other hand thanked and apologized to her.             The captain’s cabin, where the four of them were in was considerably more impressive and cleaner than any part of the ship. You can learn a lot

Words 25.

Time is a motionless entity that God himself have no power upon, For time breathes differently than us, It moves consistently ever flowing without the regard of our petty human presence, Time is almighty – to control time is to control all.