Skip to main content

Story: Dean and the Bird (Week 3)


The bird eased itself and stood on a cabinet in the corner of the captain’s private room with a sigh. "You must forgive me," it said. "I'm afraid I'm addicted to various forms of relaxation. When one is as old as I…"

The Captain nodded impatiently. He sat down at his desk and folded his
hands.

"All right," he said. "Let's get started. You're a bird, and not a demon? Is that correct?"

The bird shrugged. "I suppose so. That's what you would call us, the natives used different language but I guess “bird” would be the same exact term. I mean, my kind, we have our own term."

"You speak the natives’ tongue? And how do you speak English? You've been in contact with Englishmen before?"

"Our kind have been in contact with all vary type of humans before sir, but this is my first time in contact with an Englishman."

"Then how do you do it?"

"Speak English or the natives’ language? Am I speaking English? I'm not conscious of speaking anything in particular. I examined your mind…"

"My mind?"

"I studied the contents, especially the memory house, as I refer to it…"

"I see," the Captain said, trying to give a threshold in this conversation.

"We are a very old race," the bird said. "We are very old and very small. It is easy for us to move around but when you are small you are at the mercy of larger life forms such as yourself. There is no use in our relying on physical defenses. How could we win? So we fly away, because we are too soft to fight, but in order to survive one must learn to hunt game, yes captain?"

"So, how do you hunt your game?"

"There are plants and vegetables around. But if we are lucky enough, the game would come to us instead. We can eat almost anything. We're very flexible. We are tolerant, varied, and most of all we understand human desires. We live and let live. That's how our kind and your kind have live along side captain."

The bird eyed the Captain.

"And that's why I so violently objected to this business about having me
boiled. Our kind has been living together since the beginning of time, eating me would cause an imbalance. And I could see the image in your mind, my meat on plate, and you gobble and chew on them.”

"So? You can read minds, and you say our kind have live alongside? But this is the first I’ve seen your kind." the Captain said. "And you say you can read mind. How interesting. Anything else? I mean, what else can you do along those lines?"

"Our kind takes shape differently in different parts of the world, and my talents? A few odds and ends," the bird said absently, staring around the room. "A nice house you have here, Captain. You keep it quite neat. I
respect life-forms that are tidy. Some goats are quite tidy too."

"Indeed." The Captain nodded. "But to get back to the problem--"

"Quite so. You spoke of dining on me. The taste, I am told, is good. A
little fatty, but tender. But how can any lasting contact be established
between your people and mine if you resort to such barbaric attitudes?
Eat me? Rather you should discuss questions with me, philosophy, the
Arts…"

The Captain stood up. "Philosophy? Here’s a philosophy for you little birdy, I’m a pirate, a hungry one in fact. And in need to taste a rare kind of meat.”

"I know." The bird nodded. "But wouldn't it be more in accord with your
principles of democracy if we all drew straws, or something along that
line? After all you are a pirate, and pirates practice democracy and democracy is to protect the minority from just such infringements. Now, if each of us casts one vote…"

The Captain walked to the door.

"To hell with this," he said. He opened the door. He looked at the boy and instruct the boy to take the bird to the cook and prepare for it to be boiled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dagger: Chapter Three

Chapter 3 Ariam was convinced the trances of various locations and visions of large creatures in colossal size tearing up the heavens, opening a vast portal to enter this realm to wreck destruction and death meant something significant with Sajib’s plan. The dream felt vivid and real, it felt like a looming definite future that was for sure abound to happen if she did not do anything to stop it.             Obadiah was glad when she woke up, and now without further due, he stood in front of Ariam who sat up on the captain’s bed, rubbing her eyes, and then he started shouting, “What the hell were you thinking? You could have died! And what then?! You risked your life just to save this idiot.” Obadiah went on for quite a bit tearing Ariam’s ears off in the process, while Bernard in the other hand thanked and apologized to her.             The captain’s cabin, where the four of them were in was considerably more impressive and cleaner than any part of the ship. You can learn a lot

Kid Against The World: Four

Chapter Four Remember, you can’t love somebody without losing a part of yourself. I drive calmly in this rundown sad excuse of an automobile, I don’t know where we are going, but I’m feeling electric tonight with her by my side. We pull down the windows, and let the wind enter, her hand is out, making waves out of it, whistling a tune she is common with. I am very certain that I am nervous, being in a car with her. I mean I used Pabil’s car before, and he is cool with it, so I’m not anxious about that. It’s the fact that I’m in the same car with this Goddess, that’s making my heart beat racing like a Formula One race car.  We are closing in to the city now; Kuala Lumpur at night is just superb. Forget Paris; forget New York or London, Melbourne, none of that could compare the rawness of Kuala Lumpur. The bikers riding the roads, the homeless trying to get some food, the youth falling in and out of love, all happen under the sleepless nights of this city. She takes a can of be

Kid Against The World: Two

Chapter Two Malaysia is boiling hot and very unnecessary damp. The way one would think hell is like, now times that by eighteen and you get Malaysia, but if you times it by twenty then you’ve gone too far and went to Australia or Ethiopia. So I shouldn’t complain, there are other countries out there suffering in much more extreme conditions. I got home by train and now just few steps to my apartment, Block F. Block F is a combination of life insurances and urine, and how fascinating and disgusting they all are at the same time. Not too far from the apartments, you can see the big billboard on the highway. There is the large, swelled up face of our current prime minister, his white thinning hair swiped back matched with a Hitler moustache and a thick full red lips, this kind of face reminds me of a wolf, or a pig, take your pick. He points right at me, with his eyes wide open with those big glasses of his, and he is smiling, why? He is very calm like a Hindu cow for someone wi